1948 to 1950, the Latin Catholics of Kadavanthra relied on the following churches in and around the locality to celebrate mass and for other religious and spiritual needs.
Guided by the able leadership of Rev. Fr. Antony Pullayil, the cornerstone of St. Sebastian’s Church, Kadavanthra was laid in 1961. Mr. C J Lewis donates 93 cents of land (1 cent = 434.6 sq. ft) for the construction of the church.On 19th January 1963, Mons. Alexander Lanthaparambil blessed St. Sebastian’s Church for its 200 parishioners and their families.
During the time Fr. Joseph Karikkaserry was assigned to serve our church, St. Sebastian church boasted Kadavanthra’s first parochial house and in 1982, we had Kadavanthra’s first Family Units. Kerala Latin Catholic Association (KLCA) was also founded by our beloved Bishop
After building a church and a parochial house For Kadavanthra, Rev. Fr. Melvin Varghese served as the primary vicar.
Late Mr. Peter Tharaserry finishes the construction of St. Sebastian’s Cappella (chapel).
For the construction of the capella dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Mr. Vakkachen Thirunilath and Mr. Paul Parappilli donated 5 cents of land to the church and on 29th May 2009, Rev. Fr. Joseph Karikkaserry (who was serving as the assistant vicar at the time) blessed the capella.
Rev. Fr. Manuel Lopez oversaw the laying of the foundation stone on 18th January 1994, which was later blessed by Most Rev. Fr. Dr. Cornelius Elanjikal and on 13th October 1996, he inaugurated the same.
Rev. Fr. Thomas Pulickal was serving St. Sebastian’s church in 22nd January 1998, when it was declared an independent parish by Archbishop Dr. Daniel Acharuparambil. Fr. Thomas Pulickal then became the primary vicar of the newly declared parish. In memory of Rev. Fr. Melvin Varghese Naduvilaveetil, Anjiparambil Shiji Joseph and Br. Joy Parayathra, the parish’s educational trust was founded. In 2001, the holy remains of St. Sebastian were brought over from The Papal Basilica of Saint Mary Major in Rome. Fr. Thomas played an important role in bringing the patron saint’s holy relics to the parish. Santa Cecilia Music Academy was started in the parish and it was inaugurated by renowned playback singers Dr. K J Yesudas and Mrs. Usha Uthup.
Rev. Fr. Joseph Sebastian, during his service in St. Sebastian’s church, made virtuous use of the offerings and donations of the parishioners by starting the parish healthcare trust.
Rev. Fr. Francis DeSilva, in 13th October 2006, organized the anniversary celebrations of a decade since the renovation of St. Sebastian’s church. It was during his service in the church that the cornerstone for the major capella of the church, dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help, was laid, as well as the blessing of the new building for catechism on 10th October 2006 by Archbishop Dr. Daniel Acharuparambil.
The rebuilt parochial house’s corner stone was laid on 10th October 2006 and was blessed on 16th January 2008 by Archbishop Dr. Daniel Acharuparambil.
The first agape of the parish’s family unit blocks took place in December 2008.
Rev. Fr. Augustine Baiju Kuttikkal becomes the parish’s first priest. On 27th March 2008, he received holy orders and this ordination ceremony was presided over by Archbishop Dr. Daniel Acharuparambil. On 3rd April 2008, Fr. Augustine celebrated his first mass as a priest.
Rev. Fr. Dr. Vincent Vaariyath
It was laid on May 9th 2010 by the children who received their first holy communion on the same day. It was sponsored by Mr. Roy Kovattuparambil in memory of his late father Mr. Joseph Kovattuparambil.